Skip to main content

Cross-origin brute-forcing of Github SAML and 2FA recovery codes

Yesterday while reading my Twitter stream I found this interesting article about  downloading GitHub SSO bypass codes. Same as Yasin Soliman I was invited to a Github pre-release of the organisation SAML single sign-on (SSO) private program. And same as him I found an issue in the same endpoint. So I thought to write a quick blog post about it.
Github already published a tl;dr about this,




 I will try to fill the blanks here.

As mentioned by Yasin, Github offers an endpoint where privileged users can recover bypass codes. These recovery codes were accessible for download as plaintext and had the content-type as text/plain , something like:




What immediately caught my attention was that the format of the code forms (with some exceptions) a valid JavaScript file with lines in the format of XXXXX-XXXXX, ten hex digits separated by a hyphen. This is interpreted in JavaScript as the subtraction of two variables! This remember an old blog post of mine where I could possibly exfiltrate information from properties file formatted in a peculiar way. And another great blog post: Plain text considered harmful: A cross-domain exploit.
So I thought I could do something similar here. It did not take long until I found the right approach.

Caveat #1: also in this case Github sets the X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff to prevent browsers from interpreting this content as valid JavaScript or other file types. But while Firefox now added support for nosniff the browser compatibility is still spotty (I am looking at you Safari!!).

But without waiting any further HERE is the live POC. The nut of the trick is to define a valueOf function for the corresponding variable:




and enumerate them all!!

Caveat #2: We are talking about enumerating/brute-forcing 5 hex digit variables that requires a considerable effort, but is far from be unfeasible. A rough calculation tells us that we need to define about 16^5 variables that are about 1048576!

Caveat #3: not all the codes are valid Javascript variable (e.g. the one starting with a number are not). For a random hexadecimal digit that's six out of sixteen, thus a 37.5% chance.

Disclosure timeline 

06-03-2017 - Reported the issue via Hackerone.
07-03-2017 - Github triaged the issue. 
16-03-2017 - Bounty awarded

Acknowledgement

I would like to thank the Github security  team, you guys rock, really!!


Well that's all folks. For more Javascript trickery follow me on Twitter.







Comments

Arbazz Hussain said…
Nice Find !

I Wonder why Safari Doesn't Support's X-Content-Sniffing Header ?

Popular posts from this blog

Slack SAML authentication bypass

tl;dr  I found a severe issue in the Slack's SAML implementation that allowed me to bypass the authentication. This has now been solved by Slack.
Introduction IMHO the rule #1 of any bug hunter (note I do not consider myself one of them since I do this really sporadically) is to have a good RSS feed list.  In the course of the last years I built a pretty decent one and I try to follow other security experts trying to "steal" some useful tricks. There are many experts in different fields of the security panorama and too many to quote them here (maybe another post). But one of the leading expert (that I follow) on SAML is by far Ioannis Kakavas. Indeed he was able in the last years to find serious vulnerability in the SAML implementation of Microsoft and Github. Usually I am more an "OAuth guy" but since both, SAML and OAuth, are nothing else that grandchildren of Kerberos learning SAML has been in my todo list for long time. The Github incident gave me the final…

Bug bounty left over (and rant) Part III (Google and Twitter)

tl;dr in this blog post I am going to talk about some bug bounty left over with a little rant.

Here you can find bug bounty left over part I and II
Here you can find bug bounty rant part I and II
Introduction In one of my previous post I was saying that: 

"The rule #1 of any bug hunter... is to have a good RSS feed list."
Well well well allow me in this post to state rule #2 (IMHO)

"The rule #2 of any bug hunter is to DO NOT be to fussy with 'food' specifically with left over"

aka even if the most experience bug hunter was there (and it definitely was my case here, given the fact we are talking about no one less than filedescriptor) do not assume that all the vulnerabilities have been found! So if you want some examples here we go.
Part I - GoogleI have the privilege to receive from time to time Google Vulnerability Research Grant. One of the last I received had many target options to choose from, but one in particular caught my attention, namely Google Issue T…

OpenSSL Key Recovery Attack on DH small subgroups (CVE-2016-0701)

Usual Mandatory Disclaimer: IANAC (I am not a cryptographer) so I might likely end up writing a bunch of mistakes in this blog post...

tl;dr The OpenSSL 1.0.2 releases suffer from a Key Recovery Attack on DH small subgroups. This issue got assigned CVE-2016-0701 with a severity of High and OpenSSL 1.0.2 users should upgrade to 1.0.2f. If an application is using DH configured with parameters based on primes that are not "safe" or not Lim-Lee (as the one in RFC 5114) and either Static DH ciphersuites are used or DHE ciphersuites with the default OpenSSL configuration (in particular SSL_OP_SINGLE_DH_USE is not set) then is vulnerable to this attack.  It is believed that many popular applications (e.g. Apache mod_ssl) do set the  SSL_OP_SINGLE_DH_USE option and would therefore not be at risk (for DHE ciphersuites), they still might be for Static DH ciphersuites.
Introduction So if you are still here it means you wanna know more. And here is the thing. In my last blog post I was …